During the ‘FIRST DECADE’ of service journey (2004 - 2014), SRC has faced several challenges and it has accepted most of them as opportunities. Some of the significant challenges and opportunities faced by SRC include:
- Poor understanding by the parents and community.
- Non acceptance of disability.
- Delayed identification and intervention.
- Poor knowledge about disability acts, policies, schemes & benefits.
- Increase in disability population.
- Several barriers with poor access.
- Stigma, myths and non-cooperation & non-acceptance and poor participation.
- Not ready to send their child to special schools.
- Poverty and non-affordability
- Non availability of trained professionals.
- Lack of resources including funds.
- Creation of awareness cum advocacy.
- Better IEC with causes and consequences.
- Early identification and early interventions.
- Guidance with counselling for rights.
- Measures for the prevention of disabilities.
- Initiatives for barrier free environment.
- Improved training with IEC and connectivity.
- Facilitation for improved livelihoods.
- Encourage youth for special education with initiatives to run HRD centres.
- Use of technology for Resources Mobilization.